Most residential fences do not require a permit. Please read through our FAQs to learn more about when a fence permits IS required.
When is a fence permit required?
Fence permits are only required when any portion of a fence:
- will enclose a swimming pool
- will contain a corner lot visibility triangle
- will contain an entranceway and/or driveway
- is to be located between the front property line and the building setbacks established by the zoning regulations
- is to be constructed in a recorded drainage easement (also requires City Council approval)
- is constructed of barbed wire or razor wire or destructive wire (also requires City Council approval)
Can I put a fence in my front yard?
A fence may only be erected in the front yard if the following criteria are met:
- the fence shall not exceed four (4) feet in height above the adjacent grade
- the fence shall be constructed to provide that a minimum of 50% of the fence is open
- if on a corner lot, the fence shall not be located within the designated visibility triangle
- the fence shall be constructed of wood, chain link, wrought iron, plastic or similar fencing material
Can I put a fence in my back yard or on the side of my house and how tall can it be?
- In the side and rear yards, a fence, wall or barrier may be built to the property line, subject to any restrictive easements such as alleys, sidewalks or drainage easements or other restrictions encumbering the property.
- City Code does not specify a maximum height for side and rear yards; however, the policy has been a maximum of eight (8) feet.
Am I required to have a gate?
Yes. There must be at least one gate to provide access into an enclosed area. A gate must also provide reasonable access to any adjoining alley.
Can I have an electrical fence?
All electric fences must be installed using a UL (Underwriters’ Laboratories) approved device. An electric fence greater than 24 volts shall be clearly marked at 50-foot intervals with a warning sign which shall state that the fence is electric.
What are the City Codes regarding fences?
If I do need a fence permit, what is the typical turnaround time for issuing permits and how do I pay?
Requirements (if a permit is needed)
- Miscellaneous permit application
- Detailed site plan including the type of fence, wall, or barrier to be used
- Detailed plans demonstrating full compliance with the requirements of the City Code
Please email all applications and forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.