Most residential fences do not require a permitPlease read through our FAQs to learn more about when a fence permits IS required.


When is a fence permit required?

Fence permits are only required when any portion of a fence:

  1. will enclose a swimming pool
  2. will contain a corner lot visibility triangle
  3. will contain an entranceway and/or driveway
  4. is to be located between the front property line and the building setbacks established by the zoning regulations
  5. is to be constructed in a recorded drainage easement (also requires City Council approval)
  6. is constructed of barbed wire or razor wire or destructive wire (also requires City Council approval)

Can I put a fence in my front yard?

A fence may only be erected in the front yard if the following criteria are met:

  1. the fence shall not exceed four (4) feet in height above the adjacent grade
  2. the fence shall be constructed to provide that a minimum of 50% of the fence is open
  3. if on a corner lot, the fence shall not be located within the designated visibility triangle
  4. the fence shall be constructed of wood, chain link, wrought iron, plastic or similar fencing material

Can I put a fence in my back yard or on the side of my house and how tall can it be?

  • In the side and rear yards, a fence, wall or barrier may be built to the property line, subject to any restrictive easements such as alleys, sidewalks or drainage easements or other restrictions encumbering the property.
  • City Code does not specify a maximum height for side and rear yards; however, the policy has been a maximum of eight (8) feet.

Am I required to have a gate?

Yes. There must be at least one gate to provide access into an enclosed area. A gate must also provide reasonable access to any adjoining alley.

Can I have an electrical fence?

All electric fences must be installed using a UL (Underwriters’ Laboratories) approved device. An electric fence greater than 24 volts shall be clearly marked at 50-foot intervals with a warning sign which shall state that the fence is electric.

What are the City Codes regarding fences?

City of Azle, TX FENCES, WALLS AND BARRIERS (ecode360.com)

If I do need a fence permit, what is the typical turnaround time for issuing permits and how do I pay?

  • Initial review is five business days. If all documents are submitted and there are no issues with plan review, then the permit could be issued within five to seven business days from the date the application packet is received.
  • If something is missing or there are issues during plan review, a resubmittal will be required. Each resubmittal review is an additional five business days.
  • When the permit is approved you will be notified by e-mail or phone call. You can pay with cash, check or credit card; however, we do not accept American Express. We have a 3.6% processing fee when paying by credit card. If paying by credit card, you can pay over the phone by calling 817-444-2541 ext. 102.

Requirements (if a permit is needed)

  • Miscellaneous permit application
  • Detailed site plan including the type of fence, wall, or barrier to be used
  • Detailed plans demonstrating full compliance with the requirements of the City Code

Miscellaneous Permit Application

Please email all applications and forms to permits@cityofazle.org.